Need to Move from Magento Go? Here’s Some Options
Magento is a fantastic platform, but with recent announcements on 1st July stating that Ebay Inc have decided to cease the support for their Magento Go service, we know that there’ll be thousands of merchants left wondering what to do next before the cut off date on 1st February 2015.
Magento Go is/was a service that allowed small to medium sized business owners to quickly set up a store on a subscription based model. Merchants and business owners could get online quickly and with ease, having a lot of Magento’s excellent features at their finger tips.
It must be made clear that the announcement will only affect the Magento Go users, as the Community Edition (which is what we specialise in) and the Enterprise Edition will continue. In fact, with Craig Peasley’s recent comments (Magento’s Marketing Head) it seems as though both Community Edition and Enterprise Edition will get stronger, as the main drive behind the closure of Go is to focus more on these much more successful solutions.
So, what’s your options..
It’s likely that Merchant’s using Magento Go have sales of less than £500,000 per annum and the functionality of your store is most probably nothing out of the ordinary. So here are your options;
- Migrate to a completely different off the shelf shopping cart (like BigCommerce, osCommerce etc)
- Stay with Magento but migrate onto the Community Editition
- Get a bespoke store built from scratch – warning: very expensive
That’s right, there’s really only three options from my point of view because unless your store is turning over more than a few million per annum, you probably won’t want to make the investment into Enterprise Edition or even be able to take advantage of the excellent support that will be available to you.
What would we recommend?
Looking at it from a logistical and store owner point of view, you’ll want to keep the costs down but also have a simple/quick process that causes very little (if any!) disruption. With this in mind;
- You’re already used to using Magento’s admin area
- All your store data (products, attribute, category’s, orders, customers) is in Magento language (in laymen’s terms)
- You’re possibly using a Magento theme as your design
My personal recommendation would be to stay with Magento and migrate to their Community Edition. Here’s why;
- It will take much less time to copy your data across (orders, products, customers) as it’s already in Magento language – therefore a lot cheaper
- You can (if you wish!) keep the same design as a lot of Magento Go theme’s have a Community version – again, saving money and time
- From an Admin point of view, you can simply get back on with running your store without having to get used to a new one
- Magento Community Edition is “open source” which basically means there’s hundred of thousands of developers that can support you, or better yet, you can easily recruit someone in house to help you when your business gets to that point
With using Community Edition, you can do anything you wish to the store and scale it up on command. The Magento marketplace is huge and has an extremely wide range of add-ons for extra functionality and features for your customers.
But the main benefit in my point of view is that you get to stay with Magento – because it truely is a fantastic shopping cart and where as some large brands have bespoke shopping carts built specifically for them – a handful like Toms and North Face still use Magento as their core platform.
Migrating from Magento Go to Magento Community Edition..
If you look through our blog posts, we’re not ones to pitch our own services while providing help and information – however taking into consideration the importance of what needs to be done we do want to make it clear that we can help, as we really do understand the Magento shopping cart.
What we’ll do for you is;
- Set you up with an independent hosting account on our server or with a hosting company of your choosing
- Set up your very own Magento Community Edition (which you can later move where ever you want) and migrate all your data across
- Bring across your theme and make minor adjustments if needed
- Make contact with your payment gateway and get everything updated for you
- Put you live!
If you would just like to chat to someone about what to do, the options above or even get an idea of price then please do give us a call and we’ll be happy to help.
We’re based in Lincoln, Lincolnshire but can support users anywhere in the UK.
We hope to hear from you soon.